Teenage spots might be considered an unfortunate part of growing up, but did you know there are steps you can take to prevent embarrassing breakouts from ruining your day?
How Teenage Spots Happen
Puberty is the time when your body begins to produce hormones, known as androgens. Sometimes these hormones are produced excessively, resulting in an over-production of oil or sebum on the skin. This excess oil then combines with debris and bacteria, resulting in blocked pores.
As pores become blocked, it’s impossible for the oil to reach the surface of the skin. The trapped oil causes the skin to become inflamed. This inflammation sends a signal to your body that something is wrong.
Now is the time when your body’s immune system goes into overdrive, sending a rush of white blood cells to the pore, causing whiteheads. Blackheads, on the other hand, form when the pore is open at the surface, allowing air to enter.
Other contributing factors to teenage spots include ...
- High humidity
- Poor hygiene
To find out how to care for your skin and keep teenage spots at bay, follow the three tips below:
Be Consistent With Your Skin Care Regime
Use a daily face wash – Proactiv+ Skin Smoothing Exfoliator is completely re-engineered to help calm irritated skin while non-irritating exfoliating beads gently wash away pore clogging impurities such as dead skin cells, revealing fresh, smooth skin.
Target specific areas – Proactiv+ Pore Targeting Treatment contains exclusive Smart Target™ Technology designed to aim blemish fighting ingredients to the pore. This treatment contains purifying 2% salicylic acid, liquorice extract and honeysuckle extract
Hydrate Your Skin – Oily skin needs moisture, too! Don’t shy away from applying moisturiser to an oily complexion; instead, choose Proactiv+ Complexion Perfecting Hydrator. The unique skin-brightening complex contains purifying 1% salicylic acid, ascorbic acid 2-glucoside, vitamin E and botanical extracts. Proactiv+ uses new technology and powerful new formulas to deliver astonishing results.
Make Time for a Mini Facial
As part of your regular skincare regime, or one week before a big event, treat yourself to a mini-facial. This important step will keep your skin in tip-top condition, allowing problem skin to be targeted before an outbreak occurs.
Here’s how to perform a mini-facial at home with a hot cloth cleanser. It’s easy when you know how ...
- Step 1: Apply Proactiv+ Skin Smoothing Exfoliator to your skin
- Step 2: Hold a terry towel face cloth under a hot tap for a few seconds then rinse well.
- Step 3: Place the towel over your face and hold it there for a moment or two. The heat from the towel will open up pores. Gently rub the cleanser from your face in circular movements, taking care to avoid the eye area.
- Step 4: Splash off the remainder of the product with cool water, leaving your skin clean, refreshed and ready for the treatment of your choice.
Keep Stress at Bay
It’s true! We all face stress on a daily basis, but too much may lead to the overproduction of the hormone cortisol. Cortisol is the “fight or flight” hormone that keeps you in a state of flight, ready to react at a moment’s notice.
Too bad then that teenagers typically face all sorts of stressful situations: from studying for exams to plucking up the courage to ask someone out on a date. Cortisol contributes to increased androgens, or hormones, which may result in acne.
Now you understand why it’s important to keep stress at bay, follow the five tips below to keep calm, relaxed and at ease. Your skin will thank you for it.
1) Get into the habit of adopting a wind-down schedule each night. An hour before you go to bed, relax in a warm bath. You might like to try soaking in stress-busting salts such as Epsom salts or Himalayan salts, both of which will leave you feeling relaxed and ready for your beauty sleep.
2) Before bedtime, avoid the consumption of salty foods, caffeine and alcohol. It’s best to stop eating approximately four hours before going to sleep.
3) Keep your bedroom cool, dark and free of technology. Hang blackout curtains to hold back the light, especially on summer nights.
4) Stock up on a supply of herbal teas such as mint or spearmint which are both excellent for digestion, or indulge in a cup of chamomile tea for relaxation.
5) Achieving an undisturbed seven to eight hours of good quality sleep is the best beauty investment that money can’t buy. When you sleep well, your body gets the opportunity to recharge, restore and repair.
If you follow the easy steps above, you’ll find that getting rid of teenage spots is as simple as tweaking your lifestyle and investing a little time and effort in your new skincare regime.